Wilkes Senior Resources activities in the Wilkes Senior Center (former Fairplains Elementary School) at 228 Fairplains School Road, North Wilkesboro, are available to people 55 and up.
There is no fee to join and most activities are free. Tours are offered during business hours (7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.) Monday through Friday.
Wilkes Senior Resources, a United Way Agency, provides transportation for grocery shopping, personal shopping, bank, personal business, group meetings and recreation on a first come first serve basis for people 60 and up. Call 336-667-5281 well ahead to schedule a ride.
Dance classes in the Wilkes Senior Center gym are:
• Line dancing, taught by Freda DeGruchy on Mondays at 1:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Free;
• Wednesdays classes are taught by Jene Yarborough. Beyond Beginner Class meets at 11 a.m. and beginner class at 1 p.m. Free;
• Thursday clogging classes are taught by Freda DeGruchy. Beginner class starts at 5:15 p.m. and intermediate class at 6:30 p.m. See DeGruchy regarding fees.
All dance classes are in the Wilkes Senior Center gym.
Trips through Wilkes Senior Resources are:
• June 6-12, 2021 — Vermont — Includes motor coach transportation, six nights lodging with four nights in Vermont, 10 meals, tours of Morse Farm Maple Sugarworks, Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream factory, dinner cruise on Lake Champlain and more;
• Sept. 5-15, 2021- Alaska Cruise Tour with Princess Cruises on the Sapphire Princess. Price varies.
Call or stop by Wilkes Senior Resources for details, including costs. Information also at Wilkessenior resources.com.