The North Carolina High School Athletic Association announced Thursday morning that the start of the 2020-21 high school sports season has been delayed further.
An announcement came less than 24 hours after North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper’s announcement Wednesday afternoon to remain in Phase Two until at least Sept. 11.
Last month, the NCHSAA announced that the start of the fall sports season was to be delayed until at least Sept. 1.
“At his press conference, Governor Roy Cooper and his health team extended Phase Two of the state’s reopening plan until at least September 11,” NCHSAA Commissioner Que Tucker said in a statement Thursday morning. “Unfortunately, this announcement means that the start of sports for the 2020-2021 school year will be delayed beyond September 1 for NCHSAA member schools.”
According to Tucker, the NCHSAA Staff and Board of Directors will review all available options, seek input from SMAC, DPI, a sports Ad Hoc Committee, and announce a calendar for playing sports during the upcoming school year.
The plan is to have an announcement by Aug. 17, at the latest.
NCHSAA teams have been allowed to conduct summer workouts since the middle of June and entered into its own Phase Two of resuming high school sports this past Monday.
Wilkes County schools will continue to conduct summer workouts. They started their workouts on July 6 while several school systems have yet to begin summer workouts.
“We want to play sports during this upcoming school year and are making plans to do so,” said Tucker. “However, the health and safety of all participants, including coaches and other essential staff, will be a priority as decisions and plans are made.”