Twenty-three Wilkes Community College health sciences students received Gertrude Elliott Health Sciences Scholarship for the 2020-21 school year.
• first-year nursing students Alivia Anderson, Wilkesboro; Hannah Ellis, Millers Creek; Hannah Garcia, Moravian Falls; Jodi Walsh, Boomer; Kathryn Parsons, Purlear; Kaylin Blankenship, McGrady; and Madison Carter, East Bend.
• respiratory students Seng Xayavong, North Wilkesboro; Courtney Fulton, Boone; and Hannah McNeil, Roaring River;
• second-year nursing students Abigail Smithey, Wilkesboro; Ashleigh Pack, North Wilkesboro; Jordan Campbell, Harmony; Kendall Elledge, North Wilkesboro; Morgan Shatley, Jefferson; and Stephanie Walker, North Wilkesboro.
• second-year medical assisting students Alicia Aleli Sandoval, Ennice; and Alyssa Prevette, Roaring River.
• second-year radiography students Audrey Johnson, Millers Creek; and Charity Visnic, Millers Creek;
• second-year respiratory therapy students Kendra Carter, Wilkesboro; and Melissa Edwards, West Jefferson;
• first-year human services student Nicolia Miller Briggs, Wilkesboro.
The Gertrude Elliott Health Sciences Scholarship was established at WCC by Drs. Tom and Karolen Bowman of North Wilkesboro.
Gertrude Webster Elliott graduated from Davis Hospital School of Nursing in 1954. She worked briefly at Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem before returning to Wilkes County to work in Wilkes General Hospital’s emergency department until her death in 1988.
Dr. Jeff Cox, WCC president, said the COVID-19 pandemic brought clarity to the critical roles of healthcare workers.
“All of our health science programs continue to be strong areas for our students to get two-year associate degrees and then get good jobs making a living wage. It is not uncommon for our graduates in the health sciences programs to be making $40,000-$70,000 a year. The Gertrude Elliott Scholarship makes completing an associate degree possible for many of our students,” he said.
Contributions to the Gertrude Elliott Health Sciences Scholarship may be sent to WCC Foundation/Gertrude Elliott Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 120, Wilkesboro, N.C, 28697.