Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze at the Sagebrush Steakhouse on Collegiate Drive in Wilkesboro Saturday morning.

Wilkesboro Fire Chief Jason Smithey said firefighters were dispatched at 8:20 a.m. and found flames coming from the exterior eve of the entry foyer of the restaurant building when they arrived within five minutes.

Smithey said the blaze was contained within 10 minutes and there was no damage to the restaurant interior, other than from smoke throughout. The only flame damage was in the entry foyer area.

He said an investigation determined that the fire began from an electrical short. Smithey added that Sagebrush is closed for an undetermined time.

The Wilkesboro Fire Department had three pumper fire trucks, a ladder fire truck and 17 firefighters on the scene.

The Millers Creek Fire Department responded with a ladder fire truck and five firefighters, with another five standing by at the Millers Creek station.

The Moravian Falls Fire Department responded with a pumper fire truck, air truck and 10 firefighters.

The Wilkes Rescue Squad was there with an air truck, one ambulance and three squad members.

Smithey said personnel cleared the scene at about 10:30 a.m.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.