Wilkes Health Director Rachel Willard announced new U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommendations for prioritizing COVID-19 testing.
The priorities are in three categories.
Priority one (highest priority) for testing are hospitalized patients or healthcare facility workers with symptoms.
Priority two for testing are:
• patients in long-term care facilities with symptoms;
• patients over age 65 years with symptoms;
• patients with underlying conditions with symptoms;
• first responders with symptoms.
Priority three for testing are:
• critical infrastructure workers with symptoms;
• individuals who don’t meet any of the above categories with symptoms;
• healthcare facility workers and first responders;
• individuals with mild symptoms in communities experiencing high numbers of COVID-19 hospitalizations.
“Non-priority” for testing are people without symptoms.