A man pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact to second-degree murder on Sept. 4 and two other people were charged last week in the same 2017 Wilkes County homicide case.

Steven Wayne Wood, 48, of Bear Creek Church Road, Dobson, pleaded guilty to attempted armed robbery and possession of a firearm by a felon in Wilkes Superior Court, in addition to accessory after the fact to second-degree murder. Sentencing was delayed until Oct. 28.

Wood entered these pleas in a plea-bargaining arrangement calling for him to testify truthfully against his co-defendants in the case in which Daniel Keith Walters Sr., 52, of 4544 Greenhorn Road, Roaring River, was shot on Oct. 9, 2017, and later died.

Walters was at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem when he died on Dec. 30, 2017, from complications from being shot. He had been hospitalized since the shooting occurred.

On Saturday, Barbara Ann Crawford was arrested at a residence in Jonesville on charges of first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and attempted armed robbery in connection with Walters’ death, said Det. Jason Adams of the Wilkes Sheriff’s Office. She remains in the Wilkes County Jail without bond.

Adams said Charles Mullins, 58, of Dobson, has been charged with the same offenses as Crawford, who is his daughter, but hasn’t been taken into custody. The fourth defendant in the case, James Patrick Urick, 40, of Martin Road, North Wilkesboro, was sentenced to not less than 32 nor more than 39 years in prison in May in Wilkes Superior Court after he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a habitual felon.

Adams said the investigation determined that Wood, Crawford, Mullins and Urick went to Walters’ residence on Oct. 9, 2017, and that Ulrich and Wood entered the home to rob Walters. Walters was shot at this time, said Adams.

Wilkes Deputy Steven Russell reported that he responded to a report of a burglary and shooting at the residence of Walters’ home, about 1 p.m. Oct. 9 and found Walters bleeding and lying in a bedroom doorway of the doublewide mobile home.

Russell reported that Walters was bleeding from his stomach and buttocks. Russell reported that a handgun was involved.

In addition to Adams, the case was investigated by Wilkes Deputy Graylin Tharpe.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.