Two mobile homes on dead end roads in opposite ends of Wilkes County were destroyed by fire on the afternoon of Feb. 10.
Three dogs lostThe first fire was at 321 Moravian Mill Road, off the eastern end of Falls Road in Moravian Falls. The fire started on a wooden porch and spread through the mobile home, said Moravian Falls Fire Chief Kimi Hamby.
He said firefighters had a hard time reaching the blaze when it got into the rafters because a tin roof had been built over the original roof. It burned across the length of the roof.
Hamby said the fire apparently began from a heat lamp on the porch used to keep three dogs warm. The dogs died in the fire.
He said the Myra Maynard family, which owns and occupied the mobile home, was in Montana on vacation and a person there temporarily as a house-sitter was at work. A neighbor reported the fire.
Access was limited because the mobile home was at the end of a one lane private drive about a quarter of a mile long. Hamby said the home was insured.
The Moravian Falls, Boomer and Goshen fire departments were dispatched at about 1:15 p.m., followed by Brushy Mountain with additional manpower. Firefighters were on the scene for nearly three hours. The Wilkes Rescue Squad and Wilkes Fire Marshal Nikki Hamby also responded.
Second fire in WilbarThe second mobile home fire was at 890 Berrys Branch Road, which is off N.C. 16 North at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountain escarpment in Wilbar.
Wilbar Fire Chief Rick Jennings said the mobile home had been unoccupied for 10-15 years and was used for storage. The structure had no power and wasn’t insured, said Jennings, adding that the cause of the fire wasn’t determined.
Owner Sally Marshall lives nearby and reported the blaze. Jennings was first on the scene and said he knocked the fire down, but it flared back up due to the many flammable items stored there. He said about five tankers of water were used on the fire.
Assisting Wilbar were the Millers Creek and Mulberry-Fairplains fire departments. Mulberry-Fairplains also had a fire truck and firefighters at the Millers Creek Fire Station to cover the other districts while the fire was being fought in Wilbar.
Firefighters were dispatched about 3:20 p.m. and were on the scene until about 5 p.m.