Mobile home destroyed

SINGLE WIDE MOBILE HOME and its contents were destroyed by fire early Sunday morning.

A woman lost the mobile home she rented and all of her belongings inside in a fire in the Broadway Fire District early Sunday morning.

The fire in the older model single wide mobile home occupied by Ronda Billings apparently began from an electric heater, said Assistant Fire Chief Jason Hart of the Broadway Fire Department. Firefighters found the heater tipped over, but don't know what caused that, said Hart.

He said Billings stated that she was awakened by the sound of something popping, smelled smoke and quickly exited the house. With her cell phone and pocket book left in the mobile home, she ran to a neighbor’s residence to call 911.

Billings and her three dogs escaped from the burning mobile home without any injuries, but the fire was in an advanced stage when firefighters arrived and nothing could be saved.

The mobile home and several others nearby, on Twin Oaks Court off Parks Ridge Road, are owned and rented out by Earl Andrews of Yadkinville. Hart said Billings didn’t have renter’s insurance and he didn’t know if Andrews had insurance. The American Red Cross is assisting Billings.

The Broadway, Roaring River and Moravian Falls fire departments were dispatched to the fire about 2:30 a.m. They were on the scene until about 5:30 a.m. Sunday.

Fire on Little Brushies

About 2:15 p.m. Sunday, the Little Brushy Mountain and Broadway fire departments and the N.C. Forest Service were dispatched to a small woods fire near the intersection of Clint Johnson Road and Shady Cedar Lane in the Little Brushy Mountain Fire District.

Assistant County Ranger Jeremiah Greene said the fire began from a person burning a trash pile near a house. Greene said the fire got out of control, burned across the yard of the house and had just entered the woods when firefighters arrived and extinguished it.

He said the fire burned about one-tenth of an acre and threatened two homes, but there was no structural damage. Greene issued a warning ticket to the person who started the trash pile fire for not keeping it under control.

Saturday In Traphill

Greene said a brush pile being burned near a home off Roaring Gap Church Road in Traphill got out of control and burned a little more than a tenth of an acre Saturday afternoon.

The Traphill and Austin fire departments and forest service were dispatched. The fire threatened but didn’t reach a building filled with round bales of hay, he added.

Greene said he planned to issue a warning ticket to the person responsible for the fire for not keeping it under control. He added that wind was a factor in the fire, which was about a half mile from Traphill Road.

Greene said that with leaves coming off trees and wind, wildfire risks are up. He recommended that outside burning be done when there is light rain.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.