A singlewide mobile home on Old Railroad Grade Road in Thurmond was heavily damaged by heat and smoke in a fire late Wednesday morning.

State Road Fire Chief Bradley Spicer said the cause of the fire was electrical, possibly from a faulty fuse. Spicer said the fire produced few flames, but heat and smoke damage left the structure uninhabitable.

He said Alvin Wilmouth, who rented the mobile home, left Wednesday morning to go to Elkin and found and reported the fire when he returned. Wilmouth lost everything he had in the mobile home and didn’t have renter’s insurance, the chief said. There were no injuries.

Assisting the State Road Fire Department were the Austin and Traphill fire departments. Firefighters were on the scene until about noon.

Old Railroad Grade Road is off U.S. 21 at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountain escarpment.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.