Wilkesboro Fire Chief Jason Smithey said closed interior doors helped limit damage in a house fire Friday afternoon.

Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze at 624 South Bridge Street, with a person possibly entrapped, at 2:50 p.m. Smithey said flames were coming from the kitchen area and heavy smoke was throughout the residence when firefighter arrived.

He said it was determined that the occupant, Chalma Hunt, was at work after the home was searched and no one was found.

Smithey said the fire was extinguished and damage from flames was limited to the kitchen area and a hallway.

He added that there was heat and smoke damage throughout the house except rooms where entrance doors were closed, demonstrating the importance of keeping doors closed.

Smithey said there was only mild damage to a front living room near the heavily damaged kitchen and hallway due to the living room door being closed.

He said the fire appeared to have started accidentally in the stove area, but the actual cause hasn’t been determined.

Smithey said Hunt rents the home from a relative, but it is owned by the Hogue Family Trust. He said Hunt has renter’s insurance. The home is near the intersection of South Bridge Street and Oakwoods Road.

In addition to the Wilkesboro Fire Department, the North Wilkesboro and Broadway fire departments, Wilkes Emergency Medical Services, Wilkes Rescue Squad and Wilkesboro Police Department responded.

Sign Up For Newsletters

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.