The driver of a car that crashed into a house along Rock Creek Road in Hays about 4:30 p.m. Feb. 9 escaped serious injury, said emergency personnel at the scene.

The 2006 Scion hatchback that wrecked was driven by Isiah Morris, 17, of North Wilkesboro, said Trooper Bryce Pettit of the N.C. Highway Patrol.

Wilkes Emergency Medical Services transported Morris to Wilkes Medical Center. Pettit said Morris had bruises, debris in an ear and hit his head on the steering wheel.

The Scion was southbound on Rock Creek Road when it veered to the right and Morris over-corrected, causing the car to go off the left side of the road, said the trooper.

The Scion continued in the same path, parallel to Rock Creek Road but angling away from it in a downward sloping yard. It took out the corner post of a porch on the mobile home of Annie Richardson and stopped when it hit a cinderblock foundation wall of the nearby wood frame home of Cecil Dancy.

Dancy said he was in the other side of the house watching the news on TV when he heard and felt the crash. He wasn’t sure what it was, but said he feared the house was falling down the slope it was built on. Electricity inside the house was lost.

Dancy planned to spend the night of Feb. 9 in the home of his daughter and son-in-law on Liberty Grove Church Road. He has lived in the house on Rock Creek Road for 33 years.

Pettit said Morris exited on his own and apologized to Richardson, standing outside then, for hitting her porch. She was visiting at the Dancy house when the crash occurred.

Pettit said no charges were filed against Morris, who he said stated he was on his way to work when the wreck occurred.

The Scion was a total loss and took out a section of foundation near a lower corner of the Dancy house.

Knotville Fire Chief Calvin Wyatt, who responded with other members of the Knotville Fire Department, said D&J Truck Service of North Wilkesboro was called to tow the Scion away and temporarily stabilize the house.

D&J co-owner Daniel Rhoades said he and Taylor Queen from D&J jacked up the house with three 20-ton bottle jacks at different points before pulling the car out.

Before removing the jacks, they positioned several 6-inch-by-6-inch wooden posts to temporarily support the house. Rhoades said he and Queen were on the scene for two or three hours.

A Duke Energy technician cut off electricity to the house before this work was done.

Sign Up For Newsletters

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.