A brick ranch-style home on Pads Road in the Cricket Fire District was heavily damaged by fire Wednesday afternoon.
Cricket Fire Chief David Webb said the home of Ricky and Ethel Minton was left uninhabitable by fire, smoke and water damage. Webb said they have insurance.
Mrs. Minton was the only person in the house when it started. Webb said she tried unsuccessfully to extinguish the fire.
Mrs. Minton said in an interview that she was asleep on a sofa in the living room when she awoke and realized the house was on fire. Although a smoke alarm went off, Mrs Minton said she believes heat from the fire awakened her.
She said she got one of her two dogs and exited the house, thinking her other dog had already gotten out. Mrs. Minton said the other dog, a poodle and chihuahua mix, was actually still inside and died in the fire.
Webb said Wilkes Fire Investigator Niki Hamby from the Wilkes Sheriff’s Department determined that the fire started accidentally, but the specific cause wasn’t determined.
Mrs. Minton said she believed the fire started somewhere around a table in the living room. No information was available yet on a possible cause.
Mrs. Minton wasn’t injured.
The Cricket Fire Department was dispatched about 3:30 p.m. The Millers Creek and Wilkesboro fire departments were dispatched to assist.