Two children found dead in Elkin as result of carbon monoxide poisoning - journalpatriot: News

February 10, 2016
North Wilkesboro, NC
336-838-4117
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard
/*
*/
default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
Not you?||
Logout|My Dashboard

Two children found dead in Elkin as result of carbon monoxide poisoning

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:36 am

Two children were found dead in Elkin this morning and their mother was being treated at Duke Medical Center as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable generator.

The victims, a 7-year-old boy and an 8-year-old girl, were found dead in a bedroom of a home at 211 Elk Spur Street. Their mother, Kathryn Gilliam, was found in a hallway, where she had collapsed.

The names of the children were not released by EMS officials.

John Shelton, the director of Surry County EMS, said the call came in to the EMS at 5:14 this morning from two friends who had arrived at the house early to help the family move. The friends took Ms. Gilliam outside, where they were able to resuscitate her. She was first sent to Hugh Chatham Memorial Hospital in Elkin before being taken by ambulance to Duke Medical Center for further treatment. She is listed in critical but stable condition. Shelton said that inclement weather prevented the use of a medical evacuation helicopter.

The two friends then found the two children, and two dead animals, in a bedroom.

“If the friends had not arrived when they did, Ms. Gilliam absolutely would not have survived,” said Shelton. “The level of the carbon monoxide gas in the house was extremely high, even after the house was ventilated.”

Shelton estimated the time of death for the children at 3 a.m.

Gas generator the cause

Since the family had not yet completed the move into the house, they did not have normal power service. They were using a portable generator in the kitchen to power the refrigerator. Shelton said it was the fumes from the generator that caused the carbon monoxide poisoning.

Shelton said that the generator was turned on at approximately 11 p.m. Tuesday. At some time during the night, the mother got up and turned the generator off but then collapsed from the fumes.

Shelton said he was told that the family was moving to the house from a home on Spring Street in Elkin.

  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

Stocks

Disturbing stats
Posted: February 10, 2016

Disturbing statistics were released recently with the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention draft guidelines for prescribing opioids for chronic pain:

Comments (0)
more »
Lake pollution
Posted: February 05, 2016

As has happened before, the deluge of rain Wednesday washed trash down the upper Yadkin River and into the coves of W. Kerr Scott Reservoir. It’s a tremendous eyesore and can harm wildlife, but it also raises health concerns for humans.

Comments (0)
more »
Learn from Flint
Posted: February 05, 2016

If you managed to make it through even some of the 278 pages of emails Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder made public, you probably recognized something in how state officials responded to a water quality crisis in Flint.

Comments (0)
more »
Lessons learned
Posted: February 03, 2016

It’s troubling that it took school administrators so long to detect something was wrong at Wilkes Central High School and initiate a process that led to a former bookkeeper there being charged recently with embezzling over $100,000 in ticket proceeds from athletic events.

Comments (0)
more »
Don’t be confused
Posted: February 01, 2016

Considering all the changes, this could be a confusing year for voters.

Comments (0)
more »
More Editorials
Panthers’ motto inspirational
Posted: February 10, 2016

Wilkes County became a sea of blue, black and silver on Friday, Feb. 5, as fans of the Carolina Panthers wore their team colors to support the Panthers in Super Bowl 50.  Many offices and schools around the county celebrated “Panthers Day,” with people sporting T-shirts, jerseys, sweatshirts and caps.

Comments (0)
more »
Just how Republican is North Carolina?
Posted: February 10, 2016

RALEIGH — How Republican is North Carolina? My answer is 63.

Comments (0)
more »
A winning game day spread
Posted: February 05, 2016

With the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos facing off in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, the time is now to stock up on snacks for the big game.

Comments (0)
more »
Montessori school worth pursuing
Posted: February 03, 2016

A recent discussion on the possibility of implementing a Montessori school or program at North Wilkesboro Elementary School might seem to be “thinking out of the box.”

Comments (0)
more »
Where does North Carolina stand on teacher pay?
Posted: February 03, 2016

RALEIGH – “Teacher pay” undoubtedly will be one of the most frequently uttered phrases around the General Assembly complex during this year’s legislative session, which begins in late April.

Comments (0)
more »
More Columns
Town’s ‘warm glow’ missed
Posted: February 05, 2016

There’s a sadness over our little town and I don’t know if it will ever be lifted.

Comments (0)
more »
No more pro politicians
Posted: February 05, 2016

As an 82-year-old proud U.S. citizen who has traveled all 50 states and many other parts of the world, I am very concerned about what is happening to our beloved country.

Comments (0)
more »
Vote yes on referendum
Posted: February 05, 2016

One of the things that makes me proudest of North Carolina is our university system.

Comments (0)
more »
Elks Lodge is wrong choice
Posted: February 01, 2016

I agree that building a new fire station and police department are among the highest town priorities, but I think the Elks Lodge property is the wrong location for a number of reasons.

Comments (0)
more »
Clean energy is way to go
Posted: January 22, 2016

Thank you for your excellent article (“Powered by the sun”) in the Dec. 20 issue on installation of solar panels for the Two Rivers Cinema in Wilkesboro.

Comments (0)
more »
More Letters To The Editor